Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Part-time Princess by Pamela DuMond


Part-time Princess by Pamela DuMond is the first in her Ladies in Waiting Series. This book features Lucy, a quirky fun girl that has suffered through some tragedy and is taking care of her institutionalized uncle. After sticking up for her friend Lucy finds herself jobless and in need of some serious fast cash to keep her Uncle where he can get the care he needs. 

Lucy goes online to Daveslist where she finds an interesting job posting that leads to a rather odd interview and ultimately a job. The details given to Lucy on what she is going to be doing are pretty vague but when you need money you do what you have to. Lady Elizabeth Billingsley, Zara and Mr. Philip Phillips put Lucy through some serious training that includes an all over make over and shopping spree. At first Lucy thinks she is going to be Lady Elizabeth's assistant but eventually finds out that she is supposed to fly out to Fredonia with Zara and/or Mr Phillips and impersonate her until Lady Elizabeth can make it back to Fredonia herself. 

While flying to Fredonia, on her own, Lucy meets the handsome Nick and instantly feels a connection but tries to focus on her job. When the plane lands in Fredonia Lucy finds out that when you take a job it's probably a good idea to get a few more specifics before starting because she is instantly thrust into all kinds of situations that Lady Elizabeth didn't prepare her for at all. There are two Princes vying for her affection, death threats, dungeons, ladies in waiting, and snow in the summer!

When I began reading this book I wasn't sure if I would be able to finish it because the whole idea and the characters were a little crazy but then as I kept reading I just couldn't stop! Lucy was refreshing and I admired that she just kept making things work even though Lady Elizabeth pretty much threw her to the wolves with little help. I also really enjoyed the Ladies In Waiting because they were NUTS but I couldn't stop laughing at all the crazy stuff they did and said. I adored Nick after he stopped mentioning the past with Elizabeth. Christoph, aka The Doll Butcher, is a dirty dog and probably couldn't be faithful if he tried but then again you can't always get love with an arrangement. 

Fredonia sounds like a pretty fun place to visit and I applaud Lucy for making it through while still trying to be a lady. There were SOOO many slips she made so it really surprised me that she wasn't called out on her being Lady Elizabeth every other page. Then again all the people of Fredonia were pretty crazy themselves so maybe they didn't notice at all. I liked the ending but there were SOOO many questions I had that weren't answered. I guess since it's a series I will *hopefully* find out in the next book(s). I would certainly recommend this book to anyone looking for a funny, light read. 

I was graciously provided this copy by NetGalley for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment